Tirk's third compilation finds the family of artists mining several different styles of psychedelia, with far less emphasis on disco-disco or their stronger club cuts. At this point, after releasing edits, loads of original material and remixes and having been on the cusp of cyclical genre rotations, Sav Remzi's imprint doesn't really need to prove anything. And so they don't. This is no glossy singles collection. It's a well-selected cohesive album.
It starts with a diva yelling "Touch me!" on a remix edit of Space. It's an apt opener, as the bulk of the album feeds off this intergalactic sultriness. SDC reworks The Love Supreme with his classic tender touch and Richard Norris offers up a sneaky remix of Molly Wagger (that might even get some indie rock fans' attentions). Sorcerer and Sportloto both contribute interesting instrumentals that almost feel like couplets.
Architeq's downtempo skweee-squelching is the only thing that smacks of the present. The standout track, though, has to be The Time and Space Machine's (Greg Wilson-esque) cover of Neil Young's "After the Goldrush" over what sounds like a cover of the production from Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth." It feels like something from The Avalanches' Since I Left You cutting-room floor.
The guitars, live drums and synths on this collection help tie the several different referenced and reappropriated eras together. As stated earlier, Tirk 03 feels more a potluck artist album—acts pitching in as role players for an LP that amounts to more than the sum of its parts.
Tracklist 01. Space - Carry On, Turn Me On (AN2 Remix Edit)
02. Sportloto - Will I (Instrumental)
03. The Time And Space Machine - Set Phazers To Stun (Richard Norris Extended Version)
04. Skintologists - Out 'N' Out
05. Architeq feat. Ilija Rudman - Mind Games (The Emperor Machine Dub)
06. The Love Supreme - Sugar (Social Disco Club Remix)
07. Son Of Sound - Life Under Bridges
08. Sorcerer - Algorhythm
09. Molly Wagger - Weekend (Richard Norris Balearic Remix)
10. The Time And Space Machine - After the Goldrush
11. Architeq - Daylight