- Loco Dice comes of age with this accomplished double CD mix to represent TDK's 2007 Timewarp festival. He’s already released two mix CDs as part of double sets, but this is the first time he gets to spread his talent over a full two discs. Yet it’s Loco Dice’s productions which have garnered him the most recent attention: Modern classics like 'Seeing Through Shadows' [M_nus] and 'Harissa' [Cadenza], made in partnership with Martin Buttrich, have been hailed for their distinctive atmospheric blend of sun-drenched strings and delicate chords often blended with an ambiguous ethnicity.
Subtlety is the name of the game with this set. If it's instant gratification you're after, best to look elsewhere. Loco Dice takes us on the proverbial ‘journey’ throughout this release, which is a delicately meandering ride through a tropical demi world with its own surreal soundtrack. We are ushered in by Sean Palm's ‘Where's My Dongle?’ and Dice's own remix of Terre Thaemlitz presents Social Material's ‘Class’ which together combine to create a relaxed tribalism that caresses rather than pummels you. The temperature is raised when 'A Chico A Rhytmico' from 'Harissa' makes an appearence along with Radio Slave's excellent remix of Jamie Anderson's 'Time is Now'…and that's only the first disc.
You can't spot the joins on this set, which may make it a little too refined for some, and it seems that only minutes have passed before we're up to Spectrum's 'Horny Pony' on disc two, but that's its beauty as far as I'm concerned. Track selection is second to none and when Mike Huckaby's remix of Sandcastle's lost classic 'Procession' from Russ Gabriel's unfortunately long gone Ferox label pops up three quarters of the way through, it doesn't seem like the ten year old track it is.
I could go on more about individual tracks, but suffice to say this is a masterclass in blending and with Loco Dice in the kitchen. Although the results might not be to everyone's taste, he creates a real minimal ambience that is a real exercise in controlled restraint. This is perfectly suited to a film even. I just wonder if that's where we'll see him and Buttrich next.
1. Sean Palm - Where's My Dongle?
2. Terre Thaemlitz pres. Social Material - Class
3. Pigon - November in Little Albio Street
4. Five Green Circle - RonanZs BBQ (XHIN Rmx)
5. Ripperton - Tainted Words (Plasmik Rmx)
6. Round Two - New Day (Dub)
7. Dani Koenig - Vincent Hanna
8. Serafin - Berlin Has No Cows
9. Liebe Ist Cool - Take Action (Cassy Rmx)
10. Loco Dice - A Chico A Rhytmico
11. System Of Survival - Anador Lunar
12. D'Julez - Runny
13. Jamie Anderson - Time is Now (Radioslave Panorama Garage Remix)
14. Suburban Knights - Collaboration Alph
1. Jambi - Lunar Park Blues
2. Boris Ross - Fusion
3. Peace Division feat. Pleasant Gehman - In The Wall... (It's Voodoo)
4. Dan Curtin - Slave
5. Spectrum - Horny Pony (James Priestly and Dan Berkson Rmx)
6. DJ Emerson - Ring My Bell
7. Kevin Saunderson - Bassline (Loco Dice Rmx)
8. Gaiser vs Heartthrob - Nasty Girl
9. Baby Ford & Benno Blome - Smoke Maschine (B. Pronsato Rmx)
10. Audio Werner - Moved
11. Miss Fitz - Gesprech
12. Procession - Sandcastle (Mike Huckaby Rmx)
13. Plastikman - Glob
14. Abe Duque - Trying To Stay Underground
15. Tadeo - Dorado
16. Deetron - Let's Get Over It