- London's JD. Reid shares the best tracks he made during lockdown.
- JD. Reid's mixtapes have revealed him to be one of London's most talented producers when it comes to fusing hip-hop, future beats and gospel samples to create a complete sound. His unique way of blending different genres into a coherent whole is particularly evident on his latest release, North West's Finest. Made over a short space of time during the first UK lockdown, this collection of 15 tracks (plus a continuous mix) conveys a variety of moods, from feeling relaxed to loved and accomplished.
"Welcome" is a brilliant initiation, ushering JD Reid's audience into his sonic world, where they are about to embark on a journey that explores the intersections of dub, hip-hop and soul. Beats and breaks characterise "swordfish," while "open water" lulls the listener into a state of serenity with soothing woodwind elements and delicate vocal placement. In line with JD. Reid's previous work, North West's Finest features collaborations with five vocalists, including Biig Piig, Ms Banks and Zilo. On "good good," Zilo's alluring voice is enough to give you chills. "if love / 213," featuring Biig Piig, brings JD. Reid's soulful style to the fore. North West's Finest ends with "glory," closing this enchanting collection with a touch of gospel.
03. Open Water
04. You Can Do It Too
05. Lord Gellys
08. Zebras feat. Denzel Himself
09. Good Good feat. Zilo
10. When It Rains feat. Ms Banks
11. It Pours
13. Paid feat. Suspect
14. If Love / 213 feat. Biig Piig