- Last year, Illum Sphere released Glass, an album with a cold and beautiful mood. It was a striking release that's provided source material for a new collection of grayscale remixes. Released on Ninja Tune digitally and as a double-vinyl release, Glass Remixes reworks soothing landscapes into a range of hissy club cuts. Beau Wanzer and Fotomachine both supply rattling techno material. Wanzer, a L.I.E.S. artist, restructures "Fuel The Fire" into a lo-fi throb, while Fotomachine, who runs Technicolour, punches wide drums through "Wounded"'s chiming melodies. Hieroglyphic Being's version of "Red Glass" combines rickety swing with acidic textures and the original's sparkling synths. Machine Woman ups the intensity on her version of "Paradise," but it's still a slimy crawl.
The record also contains one track that sits outside the darkness: a remix of "The Journey" from Equiknoxx's Gavsborg. Last year, Bird Sound Power introduced the Jamaican producer's unique dancehall to a wider audience. Even if this riddim isn't as adventurous, its woody melodies and molten groove give Glass Remixes an extra dimension.
01. Fuel The Fire (Beau Wanzer Adjustment)
02. Paradise (Machine Woman Remix)
03. Red Glass (Hieroglyphic Being Remix)
04. The Journey (Gavsborg Remix)
05. Wounded (Fotomachine Remix)