- Frankfurt Versions gathers reworks of four tracks from Fort Romeau's solid second album, Insides, taking its name from the fact that all contributors are linked with Frankfurt's Robert Johnson club and label. And for the most part, the remixers deliver on their marquee status.
Roman Flügel gives his characteristically light touch to the album's title track, letting its mournful synth and low-key percussion go unchanged as he lifts the mood with a generous sprinkle of arps. Elsewhere, spacey highlight "All I Want" is taken on by Massimiliano Pagliara, who skillfully sharpens up the sighing original for the floor. Orson Wells tackles the frothy "Lately," but his rapid kicks and snares detract from the original's appeal without leaving much in its place.
Philipp Lauer and Gerd Janson, who as Tuff City Kids seem to rarely remix anything just once, offer up both a "Club Mix" and "Disco Mix" of mellow album closer "Cloche." The digital-only "Disco Mix" is, along with Flügel's production, the highlight of Frankfurt Versions. An unashamed groover, it draws out elements that were smothered in the foggy original—a purring bassline, tottering glockenspiel and bright house keys—doing so with alchemic skill.
01. Insides (Roman Flügel Remix)
02. Lately (Orson Wells Remix)
03. All I Want (Massimiliano Pagliara Remix)
04. Cloche (Tuff City Kids Club Mix)
05. Cloche (Tuff City Kids Disco Mix)