- Leyland Kirby has composed the score for Grant Gee's documentary on the German author WG Sebald.
Next month, The Caretaker will release Patience (After Sebald), a soundtrack to the documentary of the same name about the German author WG Sebald.
Patience (After Sebald) is directed by Grant Gee, an English filmmaker who's best known for his music documentaries, especially Meeting People Is Easy, his 1999 film about Radiohead's OK Computer tour. Released in 2011, Patience is a "multi-layered film essay" inspired by Sebald's novel The Rings of Saturn, a semi-fictional account of a walking tour of Suffolk. When Gee asked Kirby to compose the score for the film, he provided him with out-of-copyright recordings of Franz Schubert works from 1927—typical source material for Kirby's ghostly compositions as The Caretaker.
As with many of Kirby's albums, the cover art for Patience is a specially commissioned painting by Ivan Seal. It will be available through his label, History Always Favours The Winners, on limited edition vinyl and later as a digipak CD.
01. Everything Is On the Point of Decline
02. As If One Was Sinking Into Sand
03. Approaching the Outer Limits of Our Solar System
04. When the Dog Days Were Drawing to an End
05. A Last Glimpse of the Land Being Lost Forever
06. The Homesickness That Was Corroding Her Soul
07. I Have Become Almost Invisible, To Some Extent Like a Dead Man
08. In the Deep and Dark Hours of the Night
09. No One Knows What Shadowy Memories Haunt Them To This Day
10. Increasingly Absorbed In His Own World
11. Isolated Lights In the Abyss of Ignorance
12. Now the Night is Over and the Dawn is About to Break
History Always Favours The Winners will release Patience (After Sebald) on January 23rd, 2012.