PublishedMon, 19 Oct 2009, 13:48
- Karl Hyde and Rick Smith will release a new mix CD which features an exclusive collaboration between Hyde and Brian Eno.
Underworld will release the first in a two-part compilation series next month.
The compilation—entitled, Athens after the name of Hyde's painting that adorns the sleeve—is actually credited to Underworld vs The Misterons, which suggests that regular instrumentalist Darren Price and Junior Boys Own co-founder Steven Hall had a hand in the project. Those expecting a regular house and techno compilation may be very surprised, as the duo have gone for a much different vibe to the one they're regularly associated with. "The overall mood is jazz and improvisation," they explain. "There is very little playing in a lot of people's records in the dance and DJ world these days, but one thing Underworld have always liked is musicianship. It doesn't stop us loving machine music and house music and everything that goes with it, but the idea with this album was to highlight records we liked that we thought had great live playing on them."
The result is a diverse selection of groove-based tracks that range from the psychedelic blues of Mahavishnu Orchestra, through to the jazzy techno of Osunlade's "The Promise." Moodymann, Alice Coltrane, Squarepusher, The Soft Machine, Laurent Garnier and Underworld themselves all feature, while the collection finishes with a collaboration between Brian Eno and Karl Hyde. Conceived during Eno's residency at Sydney's Opera House earlier this year, "Beebop Hurry" features Hyde performing one of his trademark stream-of-consciousness raps over loose beats and live synths.
01. Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda
02. Mahavishnu Orchestra - You Know, You Know
03. Squarepusher - Theme From Sprite
04. Soft Machine - Penny Hitch
05. Roxy Music - 2HB
06. The Detroit Experiment - Space Odyssey
07. Moodymann - Rectify
08. Osunlade - The Promise
09. Underworld - Oh
10. Laurent Garnier - Gnaumankoudji (Broken Afro Mix)
11. Miroslav Vitous - New York City
12. Brian Eno & Karl Hyde - Beebop Hurry
!K7 will release Athens on November 23rd, 2009.Underworld