- In both vibe and geography Vauxhall in South London is about as far away from the supposed glitter and glitz of NYC as you can get. But if you've a taste for voguing to the finest slabs of disco and Italo on a Sunday eve, you'll know that the two destinations are closer than they initially seem. Jim Stanton, James Hillard, Luke Howard and Severino, AKA Horse Meat Disco, are the party collective responsible for joining the dots between either side of the Atlantic. The likes of James Murphy, Maurice Fulton, Daniele Baldelli and Daniel Wang are among those who've been lured to Vauxhall, drawn by playing to a crowd used to embracing the party deep into Monday morning and beyond.
Horse Meat's latest mix, released on Strut, follows hot on the heels of 2009's ace selection and showcases yet another collection of tunes that have kept the club's dedicated followers bouncing over the years. Those who loved Vol. 1 won't be disappointed. It draws on the same rich seam of obscure, yet instantly recognisable string-laden disco stompers. It begins with the languid camp clarion call to arms of "First Be a Woman," which sounds like it was made to soundtrack the first attempts of the inner cross-dresser in all of us smearing on eyeliner before heading out for a wild Sunday night on the tiles.
Their selection only picks up from there, taking in the crackling strut of Cyclade's "Fire to Desire" or the ass-wiggling Italo of "Touch Me Now" by Bravo. They even manage to incorporate electronically-tinged rock in the form of Madleen Kane's "Cherchez Pas" and their own re-edit of Nightfall's "Nighttime Boogie." Somehow these elderly tunes still sound fresh, due in no small part to HMD's deft touch with a mix. The quartet has been hot to trot for some years, but Horse Meat Disco II proves that they have plenty more gems to bring to our attention.
01. Leonore O'Malley - First Be A Woman
02. Cyclades - Fire To Desire
03. Bravo - Touch Me Now
04. Scherrie Payne - I'm Not In Love / Girl, You're In Love (MiX-X-X-tend version)
05. Elektra ft. Tara Butler - Feels Good (Carrots And Beets)
06. Nightfall - Nighttime Boogie (Horse Meat Disco Edit)
07. Madleen Kane - Cherchez Pas
08. Lourett Russell Grant - Hot To Trot
09. Stephanie Mills - You Can Get Over
10. El Coco - Afrodesia
11. First Love - Don't Say Goodnight