- Encompassing each of its first ten limited vinyl releases, Ornaments Symphony may be the first time that many listeners will have the chance to hear the Ornaments label's output. If you're quick. Sticking to their limited ethos, this CD comes in an aluminium presentation box, with the number of your copy (1 - 333) hand-stamped inside.
Label owners youANDme take the reins for the project, utilizing four turntables, one CD deck and a sampler to create the mix. The use of old-school methods is intentional here; youANDme are huge vinyl lovers and I strongly believe they would have released this on vinyl if it had somehow been possible. A far cry from artists such as Joris Voorn, who edit tracks extensively and use digital methods to achieve their results, youANDme treasure the risk.
Opening with a mix of Peak's "Darksuite" and the youANDme remix, dubby rhythms fade in while chopped vocals bounce around the stereo field. As the mix progresses, the calmness created quickly slips away and things get more intense. By the time we arrive at Rhauder's "No News" (all three mixes no less), the groove is in full swing. Paul St. Hilaire's vocals on the track remind us of the roots of dub techno, and pioneering acts such as Rhythm and Sound.
These memories are soon swept away, however, by the stomping minimal of Thabo and Mod.Civil. The mix peaks with Marko Furstenberg's "Tiffany's Case," a slow burning monster that fades in from the distance. Ending on perhaps the most well-known release from the label, Moodymann's remix of "Deepest America" shows us that the label doesn't just specialise in quality techno, but deep house as well. The lyrics "there aint no soul, no more" resonate here, taunting the digital industry, showing that micro-edits and mp3's aren't needed to make a truly crafted and expertly mixed journey.
01. Peak - Darksuite Intro (youANDme Remix)
02. Peak - Darksuite
03. Dubsuite - Eigenleben (Marko Furstenberg Remix)
04. Sven Tasnadi - Our Destiny (Sven Weisemann Remix)
05. Sven Tasnadi - Our Destiny
06. Thabo - Downstream
07. Martin Schulte - Cold Heart (Marko Furstenberg Remix)
08. Rhauder feat. Paul St. Hilaire - No News (Marko Furstenberg Remix)
09. Rhauder feat. Paul St. Hilaire - No News (Daniel Stefanik Remix)
10. Rhauder feat. Paul St. Hilaire - No News
11. Thabo - Berlin
12. Mod.Civil - Einfachheit Gewinnt
13. Mod.Civil - Einfachheit Gewinnt (Marko Furstenberg Remix)
14. Frank Biedermann - Warrior Wasp (Marko Furstenberg Remix)
15. I-Robots feat. Marconi - Perfect Logic Circle (G. Digger Remix)
16. I-Robots feat. Marconi - Perfect Logic Circle
17. youANDme - Close To Me (Robert Hood Remix)
18. Marko Furstenberg - Valentino
19. Peak - Darksuite (Soultourist Remix)
20. Peak - Darksuite (youANDme Remix)
21. Marko Furstenberg - Tiffany's Case
22. youANDme - Close to Me
23. Sascha Dive - Deepest America (Samuel Davis Remix)
24. Sascha Dive - Deepest America (Moodymann Remix)