- One of the year's biggest house tracks gets remixed.
- "The idea is that everyone has something they want to forget, so let's try to achieve that in this song, in this moment," Peggy Gou told NPR about "It Makes You Forget (Itgehane)." There's something ironic about a track about forgetting becoming one of the biggest tunes of the year. Conjuring images of lagoons and palm trees, "It Makes You Forget (Itgehane)" was the perfect summer hit. And while some DJs avoid playing their biggest tunes out, this has become a staple for Gou, whose sets often turn into karaokes when it comes on. It's inevitable that a house hit this colossal would get remixed.
Jay Daniel, a US producer with ties to Ninja Tune, is a solid choice. He strips away the original's acid line and adds a new type of punchy funk. The summer breeze blows in a different direction, but Gou's voice remains in the centre of the idyllic setting. Jamal Moss, who's also affiliated with Ninja Tune through its Technicolour sub-label, turns the original on its head. His machine funk results a cold, metallic crunch that contrasts with the original's warm sunrays. Gou's shimmering synths are buried deep, creating a warmth that slowly defrosts underneath. I:Cube turns in two reworks. His remix is the EP's most understated, playing with dub delay and bongo rolls that enhance the atmospherics. Where that remix drifts like a wispy cloud, his "Parallel Dub" is heavy and dark, losing the buoyant energy and charm of Gou's original.
01. It Makes You Forget (Itgehane) (Jamal Moss ChicagoPhonic Sound System Remix)
02. It Makes You Forget (Itgehane) (I:Cube Remix)
03. It Makes You Forget (Itgehane) (Jay Daniel Remix)
04. It Makes You Forget (Itgehane) (I:Cube Parallel Dub)