PublishedMon, 8 Mar 2021, 15:40
- We've collated a selection of films, radio shows, books, Zoom events and more.
Here's a list of electronic music projects celebrating Monday, March 8th, AKA International Women's Day.
We'll update this story as new projects emerge throughout the day.
• Underplayed, a new documentary about gender balance in electronic music, is out today. It features a score by Kate Simko, plus appearances from SHERELLE, TOKiMONSTA and more.
• Technomate has a Q&A session with "12 trailblazing artists," including SPFDJ and YAZZUS.
• Jamz Supernova interviews three women producers on her label Future Bounce.
• M Magazine has put together a special digital issue for International Women's Day, featuring artists like Shygirl, Róisín Murphy and more.
• London station Threads Radio is hosting 12 hours of music, recordings and interviews featuring "women, non-binary and trans folk in our community." They're also raising money for community-based non-profit Sistah Space.
• Pioneer has partnered with South London's woman-led radio station Foundation FM for a series of broadcasts.
• SOS Music, the new, women-centered Dublab and !K7-affiliated label, recently hosted a takeover of foundation.fm, with sets from Maral, Masha, Aura T-09 and SOS founders Maddy Maia & Tottie. Take a listen over on the SOS Mixcloud.
• Lakuti has curated a day of mixes with new Berlin radio station Refuge Worldwide. Entitled "BLACK WOMXNS LIVES MATTER," the programme features Madame Vacile, Thuli Majozi, Jana Falcon, Future Nostalgia and more.
• For the fourth year running, Rinse France is hosting a takeover by agency Good Sisters, with the help of Rinse France DJ Piu Piu.
• Today's Mary Anne Hobbs show on BBC Radio 6 Music featured music by all-women artists, plus interviews with Avalon Emerson and Arushi Jain.
• Adult Swim has announced a compilation due out on March 31st featuring artists like MJ Guider, Fire-Toolz and more.
• All proceeds from this compilation curated by Berlin party Radiant Love will go towards charities working with queer people of colour, refugees and sex workers in Berlin.
• York-based producer Liina "LNA" Turtonen presents "NINETY," a song made by 90 women and non-binary people. Listen here.
• Dynamics, a database and blog celebrating women in dubstep and drum & bass, is hosting a livestream today with sets from Kyrist, NikNak and more.
• Manchester's Do As You Please crew hosted 12 hours of mixes yesterday. Listen back here.
• Laila McKenzie and Ian "Snowy" Snowball are asking for £25,000 to put together a coffee-table book celebrating house music's women trailblazers. The book is called Lady Of The House.
• Birmingham festival Supersonic is hosting a virtual event on Saturday, March 13th, featuring Cosey Fanni Tutti in conversation with actor Maxine Peak, among other things.
• Pioneer DJ is hosting a series of webinars this week with women artists from across Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
• Resident Advisor, in collaboration with PRODUCERGIRLS, is hosting a community meet-up for beginner women and gender minorities in music production. Zoomy Thought Spa will take place on Wednesday, March 10th.
Photo credit: Underplayed