- The first LP from the Jamaica-born, Brooklyn-based artist is out in November.
TYGAPAW will release her debut album, Get Free, via N.A.A.F.I. in November.
The first album from the Mandeville, Jamaica-born, Brooklyn-based producer, DJ and artist Dion Mckenzie is sonically inspired by techno, with visual cues nodding to Black '90s Detroit dance videos (like The New Dance Show). Appearing on the influential N.A.A.F.I. imprint, the 11-track LP follows the Ode to Black Trans Lives EP, released in June, and builds on the momentum of her Fake Accent event series and label.
"Relish in those waves, we stand only to gain connection," Mckenzie said on the sonic concepts and overall vision behind the LP. "Once the vision is actualized, we gain connection, and ultimately we get free." Los Angeles-based artist and writer Mandy Harris Williams is a frequent presence on Get Free, featuring on four tracks.
N.A.A.F.I. is also releasing a new EP from Dengue Dengue Dengue, Fiebre, on Friday, following recent records by Lila Tirando a Violeta and Gaika.
01. Get Free Intro feat. Mandy Harris Williams
02. In Their Fear They Plotted Her Destruction feat. Mandy Harris Williams
03. Soon Come
04. Run 2 U
05. Ownland Interlude feat. Mandy Harris Williams
06. Untitled Fantasy
07. Magenta Riddim
09. So It Go
11. Thank You feat. Mandy Harris Williams
N.A.A.F.I. will release Get Free on November 13th, 2020.
Photo credit: Avion Pearce