Ravers crushed in stampede at London's We Are FSTVL

  • Share
  • Organisational failures on Saturday led to long queues in hot conditions, with reports of injuries and people collapsing.
  • Ravers crushed in stampede at London's We Are FSTVL image
  • Numerous ravers collapsed or were injured at London's We Are FSTVL on Saturday following a stampede at the entrance. Hundreds of people queued for up to three-and-a-half hours in hot conditions at the Upminster event, the BBC reports. The cause of the delay was reportedly a lack of wristbands. Some people were vomiting and collapsing from the heat, while others got caught up in the stampede. Some suffered cuts and wounds after being hit by metal barriers, which were reportedly being flung around. "We were waiting for over three-and-a-half hours, maybe moving five or six steps closer to the entrance," festivalgoer James Slater told Resident Advisor. "There was no access to toilets, water or food, with the sun beaming down. People were frustrated and dehydrated." He continued: "After three-and-a-half hours, there was a great big push and everyone started charging through leaving us with no option but to go with the crowd. My partner ended up falling over and being trampled on with a metal barrier, causing a big cut to her leg. Once we were in, I quickly rushed to get some water and tried to find a medical tent, but without a wristband you couldn't buy anything ([the festival] had ran out of wristbands). We quickly left the festival as it was clear to see my partner needed to get her cut seen to, and it was no longer safe onsite." Slater said he has complained to the festival via Facebook and LinkedIn and has received no reply. We Are FSTVL, which ran across Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Damyns Hall Aerodrome, issued a brief statement on Saturday night apologising for the chaos. A longer follow-up was sent out yesterday.
    Due to unforeseen technical difficulties at the wristband exchange, customers had experienced longer waiting times and for that we apologise. Security were able to overcome these issues, and barriers were quickly reinstated. Five customers sustained minor injuries, and all were treated on site before rejoining the festival. The situation was quickly resolved and measures, including providing additional queueing lanes and dedicated water distributers, have been taken to change the process on site today for the benefit of all festivalgoers. Our sincere apologies for anyone that was affected by the issue at the gate. Our event planning is done in accordance to the highest standards, working with The Met Police, London Ambulance Service and London Borough of Havering and the London Fire Brigade. We take the security of our audience very seriously and constantly review our processes to ensure a safe festival environment.
    The festival went ahead on Sunday, seemingly without incident. Headliners included Chase & Status, The Black Madonna and Jamie Jones.