- Last, who lost his partner Chelsea Faith, AKA Cherushii, in last year's Ghost Ship fire in Oakland, hopes to launch the project in January with a special compilation series.
San Francisco artist David Last is behind a new crowdfunded label called Last Faith Studio.
The label has its roots in the studio Last built in 2016 with his partner Chelsea Faith, AKA Cherushii, just two weeks before the tragic Ghost Ship warehouse fire in Oakland claimed the lives of Faith and 35 other people. Last is launching the Last Faith Studio record label to honor Faith's memory and "to encourage their local and international friends to keep creating [and] working toward new and unexplored musical territory," as a press release puts it.
Last Faith Studio aims to kick off with a special compilation series called Constructions, taking the form of three vinyl releases and digital editions with additional music. Last built the compilation's tracks using individual sounds contributed by 48 artist friends, including the likes of Ezekiel Honig, Minilogue's Sebastian Mullaert, Christina Chatfield and cult singer-songwriter Robyn Hitchcock. He's also working with Berlin-based Ilan Katin on art prints and video for the series. Crowdfunding support permitting, the first vinyl installment will be out in January with a triple-disc set arriving in July.
This Friday, December 2nd will mark the one-year anniversary of the Oakland fire.
Learn more at the Last Faith Studio Facebook page.
Listen to "Mister Seaweed (Part 1)."
01. All That's Left feat. Lavender
02. Inhale Exhale feat. Sweguno
03. Sequels feat. Ezekiel Honig
04. O+O feat. Ponyrok
05. Mister Seaweed (Part 1) feat. Robyn Hitchcock & Andrew Pekler
06. Obligerent feat. Christina Chatfield
07. For Faith feat. Sebastian Mullaert
08. Meditation feat. Rana
Last Faith Studio will release Constructions Vol. 1 in January 2018.