DREAM OF A NEW FUTURE
CURRENT is a multidisciplinary, intersectional, music and electronic art symposium working with women and non-binary artists in Vancouver, BC and beyond. This second iteration will take place July 25th-29th in Vancouver and will feature music and art showcases as well as workshops, panels, and youth mentorships.
The goal of this symposium is to foster and disseminate feminist content through the cross-pollination of ideas, and intergenerational knowledge sharing. By offering free, public, all ages panels and accessible workshops, we wish to cultivate growth within the local community, and create a more equal landscape within the growing Electronic Arts ecology.
>> All events are by donation.
>> Registration for film screenings recommended as capacity is limited.
>> Registration for workshops required as capacity is limited.
>> Register here: https://current2018.eventbrite.ca > Capacity at the NFB Theatre is limited. We recommend reserving a seat here: https://current2018.eventbrite.ca
✔️ FRIDAY JULY 27: at Emily Carr University of Art + Design / New Media + Sound Arts and Red Gate Arts Society
• 1:00pm-5:00pm Workshop: Intro to Gear, with Girls Rock Camp (Emily Carr University of Art + Design NMSA)
• 6:30pm Keynote: Stud1nt (Emily Carr University of Art + Design)
• 7:00pm Panel: Intersectionality in Electronic Music & Art (Emily Carr University of Art + Design NMSA)
• 8:30pm Panel: On Producing Safer Spaces: Accountable Culture Creation (Emily Carr University of Art + Design NMSA)
• 10:00pm-4:00am Performances: Night 1 (Red Gate Arts Society)
--- Stud1nt (Discwoman, #kunq / NYC) - DJ
--- Reverend Dollars (Darqness, TUF / Seattle) - DJ
--- Venetta & Zam Zam (NuZi) - DJ
--- Baby Blue (s.M.i.L.e) - live
Visuals: Kyinskies, Zandi Dandizette
>> Workshop registration & RSVP to the Night event at Red Gate Arts Society: https://current2018.eventbrite.ca
✔️ SATURDAY JULY 28: at Emily Carr University of Art + Design / New Media + Sound Arts and the Warehouse at Eastside Studios
• 1:00pm-5:00pm Workshop: Intro to MaxMSP, with Kiran Bhumber (Emily Carr University of Art + Design NMSA)
• 5:00pm Presentation: Creating Social Media Content for a Global Audience with Vanessa Tam (Emily Carr University of Art + Design NMSA)
• 6:00pm Presentation: Grant Funding 101 with CreativeBC, MusicBC, and FACTOR (Emily Carr University of Art + Design NMSA)
• 9:30pm-2:30am Performances: Night 2 (Warehouse at Eastside Studios)
--- Tygapaw (Fake Accent / NYC) - DJ
--- Ouri (Montreal) - live
--- Swan Meat (permalnk/ balaclub/ doom trip / US,DE) - live
--- Goo - live
--- Liliop - DJ
Visuals: Emma Tomic, Kyinskies, Zandi Dandizette
>> Workshop registration & RSVP to the Night event at the Warehouse at Eastside Studios: https://current2018.eventbrite.ca
✔️ SUNDAY JULY 29: at Subculture at Creative Coworkers
• 1:00pm Panel: Post-”me too”: On prevention and Support with Good Night Out and BWSS
• 2:00pm-5:00pm Workshop: Intro to DJing for women / nonbinary / LGBTQ2IA+, with Intersessions
• 5:00pm-9:00pm Workshops: Reinventing the Bechdel test; Festival diversity report card; Live music DIY tips and tricks, with Diversity: Arts Music & Entertainment (DAME)
>> Intersessions workshop registration link: https://currentxintersessions.eventbrite.ca
>> DAME workshop registration link: goo.gl/SWGoxy
We acknowledge that CURRENT: Feminist Electronic Art Symposium is located in Vancouver on unceded Indigenous land belonging to the Coast Salish peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations on whose territory we work, live and play.
We thank the Province of British Columbia, City of Vancouver - Cultural Services, Creative BC, and The Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent On Recordings (FACTOR) for funding this initiative.
We also thank our 2018 partners B.W.S.S.: Battered Women's Support Services Association, Chapel Sound, Contrast Collective, Diversity: Arts Music & Entertainment, Elastic Collective Emily Carr University of Art + Design, FIELD Contemporary, GENA, Girls Rock Camp Vancouver, Good Night Out Vancouver, Intersessions, Moniker Press, New Forms Media Society, the NFB, Nimbus School of Recording & Media, NuZi Collective, Subculture at Creative Coworkers, Sound Girls, TUF, the Vancouver Art Book Fair, VIVO Media Arts Centre and the Warehouse at Eastside Studios for supporting this initiative.
This initiative is supported by: Aurora Cannabis, Merchant Advance Capital and Red Bull
Sponsorship & media inquires, ASL interpretation requests: [email protected]