Six Delancey, a 1929 Beaux Arts construction, was completed weeks before the stock market crash of 1929, replacing a three-story brick theater. What remains of the earlier theater is its stone foundation, exposed in the lower-level lounge.
Six Delancey stood vacant through the Great Depression and Second World War, and was then occupied by a number of high-end retail concerns: a jewelry store, a haberdashery, and Treemark Shoes for approximately thirty years. When the neighborhood again fell into decline, the store housed lighting and carpet stores until the Bowery Ballroom took possession of the space in 1997.
Much of the 1929 construction still remains, such as the brass rails, the brass and iron exterior metalwork, the mahogany lined VIP rooms and the coffer-vaulted plaster ceiling of the mezzanine bar. However, the majority of the Bowery Ballroom today is new construction to support a state-of-the-art music venue.